[SailfishDevel] Open source in-app ad API helper for QML - please, join

Andrew Branson sfdevlist at andrewbranson.net
Tue May 31 07:27:17 UTC 2016

I don't think ad experiences on Android is be relevant elsewhere. Android is an ad-saturated platform - it's become so easy to put ads in Android apps that its users have either become desensitized to them, or they've taken steps to disable them. They breed contempt in the developer for their users, and in the users towards the developers, and the only winner is the ad platform provider. I expect that if a framework like this appears on Sailfish, a blocker for it will swiftly follow.

A better approach would be a toolkit for unlocking extra/full functionality through easy donations/micropayments. There was already a suggestion in a community meeting to implement the Qt Purchasing API for this, as an alternative to paid store apps (which I also disagree with because of the DRM baggage it will inevitably bring). This approach is the most respectful on both the developer and the user sides.

Cheers,

Andy