[SailfishDevel] About applications presenting a map interface

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 22:18:25 UTC 2015

Sat, 12 Sep 2015 22:33:31 +0200 David Van Rijn:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I definitely agree that there should be an easy way to add a map in
> any application. This would make things so much more efficient. I
> believe there were some mails earlier in this group about storing all
> the cached tiles in the same place, so apps can share them.
Yeah, I made the "Well known map data path" proposal a while ago but
unfortunately there were not many reactions or feedback since then. But
everybody is of course welcome to use or extend the specification. :)

Also on a related note - I have been recently working on a rewrite of
modRanas tile storage code to make it much more flexible & robust. The
result should be that in the future modRana should be able to look for tiles
at multiple places simultaneously - for example in its own tile storage
location, in a well known/shared tile storage location or even possibly
in the tile storage locations of other apps (if compatible). :)

> A while ago i started with bulding my own
> <https://github.com/unsanded/harbour-mapp> slippy-map application to
> do just this. It uses Qt scene graph, so it should be really quick and
> efficient. It is not finished yet (rotating and zooming are hard to
> combine), but it might be interesting nontheless.
Any idea if you can make some use of the mapbox-gl-native vector map
renderer[2) ? Maybe as a special tile provider ? The output looks
marvelous and it's also C++ and they even have some initial Qt 5
support[3] (QWidget only at the moment though).

[1] https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2014-March/003731.html
[2] https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-native/
[3] https://www.mapbox.com/blog/qmapboxgl/