[SailfishDevel] Tablet version SDK a.k.a 2.0

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:36:29 UTC 2014

Well, I suppose that depending on the application you will need to
make adaptations.
But I suppose applications should largely work without changes.
Tweaking the UI may be useful, but there is not much that can be made
right now. I doubt there is much to share anyway... We are looking at
the development of SailfishOS almost in realtime... I doubt the
features of production SailfishOS  are more than three months older
than those in active development.

There are activities you may do now to ensure some form of forward
compatibility: be sure to use only element sizes and styling based on
the Theme class, do not assume the values are fixed, make sure your
application works in landscape as well as in portrait...
Do not assume PullDown and PopUp menus come from a specific
direction... If you have custom graphics, make it use SVG to allow for
scaling.

For covers, do not assume you will have the sizes will match the
current covers.

Maybe we will get new QML items with the new Sailfish OS, I hope they
will work in the phone and tablet form factors anyway.

Games with graphics will have the harder time porting... utility
applications could likely be workable without too many tweaks.

I suppose we will be able to test anything on our phones before we
will put our hands on the tablet.

I am not worried at all about the SDK availability, what worries me is
the limited number of interfaces allowed on the official store.

Luciano