[SailfishDevel] Adding tinc to mer-tools

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Sun Mar 30 07:05:25 UTC 2014

On 03/29/2014 11:44 PM, Graham Cobb wrote:
> I have taken the tinc rpm source from CentOS (tinc-1.0.23-1.el5.src.rpm)
> and rebuilt it on my jolla phone (using rpmbuild --rebuild).  It seems
> to work fine.

That's nice. I guess it's CLI only and you'll have to figure out to
fight connman over resetting routes? (Someone mentioned the old openVPN
windows hack of 0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.1 yesterday at the Devaamo hack day)

I should try it against my TINC server.

> Can I contribute it to Mer so it eventually appears in the mer-tools
> repository?  Can anyone point me to how I would start that?

I'm not really sure what the rules for inclusion into mer-tools are,
although VPN tools do make sense. I think there was someone else trying
to get a VPN client in.

An option that would make TINC available quicker and stay up to date
with Sailfish updates and dependencies, would be to submit it for
inclusion into Chum, the community repository for open source software
(Think maemo extras).

For this, put your package on mer OBS and then submit it from your home
repository to: sailfishos:chum:1.0.4.20:testing
As of right now, that's update 4, look up the right one in case there
are newer updates here:
https://build.merproject.org/project/subprojects?project=sailfishos%3Achum

If you need help with OBS, I'd suggest to ask on IRC: #sailfishos on
Freenode

>  Is it OK to
> use a package from another distribution or would I have to go back to
> the upstream tar and re-package it myself?

Sure it's OK to leverage existing packaging, but please make sure that
the package doesn't have any $other-distributionisms left in it,
especially as those could negatively affect the device. Those things
will actually be checked against once you submit your request on OBS and
will be also relevant for later moving it into mer-tools.

Further questions are probably best answered by lbt (David) as he's
techically responsible for both.

Cheers

Thomas