[SailfishDevel] Folder permissions

Thomas Perl th.perl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:43:20 UTC 2014

On 09 Mar 2014, at 18:56, Iosif Hamlatzis <i.hamlatzis at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok and the next logical question is: How to get the $HOME folder of the emulator or later the actual device in my .pro file? I think it shouldn't be hard-coded.

The Harbour FAQ has several detailed answers about where to ship (sic) read-only data in an RPM and where to store data at run-time:

"Can I install files in /home/nemo?”
https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.4.0

"I have a huge amount of data files which the user can edit/change during run time. What can I do?”
https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.5.0

"Why can't I set a folder or a file under /usr/share/<HARBOUR_APP_NAME>/ to be world writeable?”
https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.12.0

“Where should I store application configuration, application data and cache files?”
https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.13.0

“$XDG_CONFIG_HOME, $XDG_DATA_HOME and $XDG_CACHE_HOME are not set in the device environment. So which path should I use?”
https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.14.0

For implementing XDG basedir, there’s a library, plus two README files (one for when you use Qt and one for when you use GLib, as both already implement XDG basedir):

https://github.com/sailfish-sdk/xdg-helper

HTH :)
Thomas