[SailfishDevel] Python in Jolla Harbour and repositories ?

Thomas Perl th.perl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:37:29 UTC 2014

>     So I want to be maintainer for python-sympy and python3-sympy. I've
> contacted w00t about it.

Talked with Robin about it. I guess first step would be to set up the
packaging using tar_git and get familiar with how things are packaged
in Nemo Mobile:

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Development#With_tar_git_service

Get an account for the Mer OBS:
https://build.merproject.org/

Then set up a Git repository (e.g. on Github) with tar_git (tar_git is
not used directly, it's a tool that is used when the OBS checks out
your source code from Git and the builds it).

This might take some time to grasp, but it will make maintaining the
packaging easier down the road, and it will give you e.g. free RPM
changelogs by writing good Git commit messages (with special format as
described in the Wiki).

>     SymPy is very stable for API use. For example, my softwares Limit,
> Derivative and Integral (for Maemo 4, Maemo 5 and Sailfish OS) are
> compatible with SymPy from 2011 to 2014.

Sounds stable, yes.

>> IPython (which you probably don't depend on in your app?) is less of a
>> problem API stability-wise - it can just be available in the
>> repositories to be installed from the command line.
>
>     If possible I would like to be maintainer of IPython, NumPy and
> MatPlotLib on Mer/NemoMobile/Sailfish.

The best way is probably to start with one of these, set up a source
tree that's using tar_git, and then get the Mer OBS to build an RPM
package from the Git source tree. After that, the next step would be
to see where we put this in the Nemo Github organizations.

HTH :)
Thomas