[SailfishDevel] Python in Jolla Harbour and repositories ?

Roberto Colistete Jr. roberto.colistete at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 05:43:07 UTC 2014

Em 23-05-2014 05:25, Thomas Perl escreveu:
>>      The wiki Sailfish/Python Development :
>> https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sailfish/Python_Development
>> is updated, listing 14 Python applications released for Sailfish, available
>> at OpenRepos.net. It would be nice to also have them on Jolla Harbour.
>>
>>      I also would like to be maintainer of some of these Python packages
>> (modules) :
>> https://build.merproject.org/project/packages?project=home%3Arcolistete
>> and include (mainly SymPy and IPython) in default Jolla repositories
>> (nemo:devel:mw ?) :
>> https://build.merproject.org/project/show?project=nemo%3Adevel%3Amw
>> What is the procedure ? Some months ago I was told by IRC : "basically you
>> ask w00t to create a repo for you in nemomobile github and then setup a
>> webhook which builds it in mer OBS". Is it the same now ?
> Yes, that's still the same procedure. For packages where nemo is not
> upstream (e.g. SymPy and IPython), the Github organization to use is
> https://github.com/nemomobile-packages/

     Thanks, Thomas Perl.

     So I want to be maintainer for python-sympy and python3-sympy. I've
contacted w00t about it.

>>      "python3-sympy" package (30 MB after installation) is used by Integral,
>> Derivative (released today) and Limit, and can also be used by other future
>> applications. IPython 2.0 package is obviously a must for any developer
>> using Python on device.
> For SymPy, do you know if the API is stable or does it change (in
> incompatible ways) between releases? If you want to depend on it from
> your app in Harbour, it has to have a stable API, and we have to have
> a maintainer for the package (to get any security fixes and updates
> packaged). For small, pure-python libraries, just packaging it with
> the app is an option, but for big packages like SymPy (that probably
> has some C extension modules), the repository is probably the best
> way.

     SymPy is very stable for API use. For example, my softwares Limit,
Derivative and Integral (for Maemo 4, Maemo 5 and Sailfish OS) are
compatible with SymPy from 2011 to 2014.

> IPython (which you probably don't depend on in your app?) is less of a
> problem API stability-wise - it can just be available in the
> repositories to be installed from the command line.

     If possible I would like to be maintainer of IPython, NumPy and
MatPlotLib on Mer/NemoMobile/Sailfish.

     But let me try SymPy at first.

         Best regards,

         Roberto