[SailfishDevel] Harbour QA process...

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at movial.com
Fri Jan 10 08:55:58 UTC 2014

2014/1/10 Ruediger Gad <r.c.g at gmx.de>:
> On 01/10/2014 09:32 AM, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
>> 2014/1/10 Andreas Enbacka <aenbacka at gmail.com>:
>>> I would like to agree with Franck on this. I have also partly held off
>>> developing for SailfishOS due to e.g., the Harbour process, as well as due
>>> to APIs my apps need to are not allowed.
>>
>> This seems backwards; if no cool apps exist for SailfishOS that use
>> certain API's, what's the incentive for Jolla to allow them in
>> Harbour?
>>
>> Please please do develop for SailfishOS and *make* Jolla beg and
>> promise anything to get your superb app submitted to Harbour! ;)
>>
>>  Kalle
>>

> Well, that is some kind of a hen and egg problem.
> One view on this is, as you say, when there is no app that requires lib
> X, lib X won't be added.
> On the other hand, if lib X is not present, developer of app Y requiring
> lib X might not port/develop app Y for Sailfish or submission to Harbour.
> So, there is at least some potential to end up in a deadlock situation.

Sure, but only if one sees acceptance to Harbour as the immediate
target rather than developing an app for SailfishOS. Those are two
distinctive targets, or at least should be. Harbour/Jolla Store is by
no means the only way to install software to the phone.

> Futhermore, having a cool tool set, in form of libs etc., available may
> also spark creativity among developers and thus result in more cool apps
> being developed for Sailfish and pushed to Harbour.

That's right, but given that you can pull almost anything from
mer/nemo into the phone it's mostly valid point just for the latter.

--
Kalle Vahlman, Movial Creative Technologies Inc.
Porkkalankatu 20, FI-00180 Helsinki