[SailfishDevel] Harbour QA process...

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Fri Jan 10 08:43:18 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 09:32 AM, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2014/1/10 Andreas Enbacka <aenbacka at gmail.com>:
>> I would like to agree with Franck on this. I have also partly held off
>> developing for SailfishOS due to e.g., the Harbour process, as well as due
>> to APIs my apps need to are not allowed.
>
> This seems backwards; if no cool apps exist for SailfishOS that use
> certain API's, what's the incentive for Jolla to allow them in
> Harbour?
>
> Please please do develop for SailfishOS and *make* Jolla beg and
> promise anything to get your superb app submitted to Harbour! ;)
>
>  Kalle

Well, that is some kind of a hen and egg problem.
One view on this is, as you say, when there is no app that requires lib
X, lib X won't be added.
On the other hand, if lib X is not present, developer of app Y requiring
lib X might not port/develop app Y for Sailfish or submission to Harbour.
So, there is at least some potential to end up in a deadlock situation.

Futhermore, having a cool tool set, in form of libs etc., available may
also spark creativity among developers and thus result in more cool apps
being developed for Sailfish and pushed to Harbour.
I think we all want to see Sailfish succeed and are highly motivated to
contribute cool content, apps, etc.

BR,

Ruediger

--