[SailfishDevel] Sideload Native App To Sailfish

Reto Zingg reto.zingg at jolla.com
Wed Feb 5 08:31:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 05.02.2014 09:18, christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch wrote:
> No rooting (or jailbreaking) pr verboten-hacks required.
>
> Just put the phone into developer mode. In theory any user can do this
> with a few clicks.
>
> Then you can install anything that will run.
>
> However this route does imply that the user has some idea of what they
> are doing, just a a user installing on a Linux desktop will need some
> idea as well. It might not be a route for a stereotypical grandma.

Developer mode is not for everybody, that is clear. And the other
suggested methods w/o developer mode will not work out of the box much
longer as stressed out already earlier:

https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2014-January/002901.html

As stressed out in the same mail, we work on it to make it possible to
side load rpm's, if the user sets up the device to allow untrusted
sources (or how ever we are gonna call that setting).

br
Reto