[SailfishDevel] Harbour rules and faq

Bernd Wachter bernd.wachter at jolla.com
Tue Jan 14 11:57:20 UTC 2014

Gabriel Böhme <m.gabrielboehme at googlemail.com> writes:

> Ohh nice, I planed to use DBUS for few features, good that I have not
> implemented a lot so far.
>
> Why will DBUS also be restricted? There are just a small amount to nearly
> no, save to use APIs. There are nearly no offical APIs, just some Nemo
> middle ware stuff that works - maybe, but is not allowed at harbour.

This comment was about one specific DBus API (PackageKit), which will be
made unavailable to 3rd party applications soon to prevent unrequested
sideloading of RPM packages. An API designed for use by 3rd party
applications for this task will be made available.

DBus APIs generally are available to you if you have the right to acces
them from your application without raising the applications
privileges. PackageKit (hopefully) is the one big exception there at the
moment. We're trying to create additional documentation on stability of
DBus APIs to help you to avoid using an API which will still change a lot.

Additionally we're working hard on making more native APIs available.

> What about device feedback, what about notifications, what about sharing
> options, what about deamons, now also DBUS will be restricted. DBUS was an
> option to work around missing notifications. :-/

DBus for notifications will not be restricted.

Bernd