[SailfishDevel] Installing packages to the SDK and Emulator via the rpm/yaml file

Thomas Perl th.perl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 06:25:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Oct 31, 2013, at 7:15 AM, christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch wrote:
> I can find the names required by PkgBR by  kewword searching in the SDK Control Center, or with zypper se xxxx, but how do I "translate" these names to the format used by PkgConfigBR:?

They're installed by the packages' .pc files (usually in the -devel package). You can get a list of currently installed pkg-config packages with:

    pkg-config --list-all

You'll have to run this command in the SDK sb2 target to get the pkg-config packages installed there.

See: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/

It's just an alternative/easier way of specifying your package dependencies, because instead of knowing how the package is named in the distro (e.g. libfoo42-devel), you already know the pkg-config package name, such as "foo" when you use e.g. CONFIG += link_pkgconfig and PKGCONFIG += foo in qmake (and in case the RPM name changes, your package will still build, as it refers only to the pkg-config name).

Protip: You can also use "zypper in pkgconfig(foo)" to install the development packages of something that provides "foo" to pkg-config without hunting down the RPM package name.

HTH :)
Thomas