[SailfishDevel] Innovative app store. Or just a traditional one

Artem Marchenko artem.marchenko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 21:04:23 UTC 2013

Hi All

Phone is going to be in sales soon, app store is going to accompany it.
What would you as app developer appreciate in the app phone?

Is there anything on top of "just buy an app" or "just buy this game
upgrade in-app" what could be an important feature for you? Any disruptive
ideas?

As for me, I'd appreciate a couple of options:

1. Built-in try-before-you-buy.
To get rid of free/paid app pairs you see in the other app platforms. If
developer doesn't mind, user should just be able to use app for free for
some 7 or 30 days. After that - only after payment or with some features
downgraded.

2. Built-in subscriptions, especially for micro-sums
Subscription-based schemes motivate developers to improve apps all the time
while worrying less about hit-or-miss situation, so it would be cool if app
store supported it.

I seriously would think even of small prices as just $0.95 a year, but it
has to be charged on a monthly basis yet nobody is going to bug users with
10 cents monthly paid upgrade.

It would be great if app store supported such subscription methods
natively. And certainly it could be seamlessly combined with
try-before-you-buy so that first month is completely free.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Artem.

P.S.
I am not working for Jolla, just a random developer interested in the topic.

--
Artem Marchenko
http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com