[SailfishDevel] qt upgrade

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:41:49 UTC 2019

Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:20:31 +0100 Lukáš Karas <lukas.karas at centrum.cz>:
> Hi all
>
>> To sum up, no idea how much we can help with 5.9 transition and what's
>> holding it back specifically.
>>
>  From the Fosdem discussion, I feel like there is no big technical issue.
> There was message that majority of SFOS core components already has branches
> prepared for Qt 5.9. Issue with transition is licensing - more Qt components
> was switched from LGPLv2.1 license to LGPLv3 [1]. If I understand it
> correctly, LGPLv2 guarantees you as a user that you will get source code for
> the library and you should be able to update library without application
> modification - it allows proprietary applications to link shared Qt
> libraries... But this second right is not mentioned explicitly. It is fixed in
> LGPLv3 that guarantee to user that have to be possible to replace libraries.
>
> This is not problem for SFOS itself, when you can get root access just by one
> click. But for some Jolla partners, that want to create certified devices for
> governments, this right may be a problem. Noone mention specific companies,
> but it is clear that Jolla needs approval from their partners first...

I really hope they finally decide to just got with GPLv3, as it's not
just Qt, but many

important system libraries, that are stuck on ancient pre-GPLv3
versions. Many of those libraries

are likely no longer maintained by upstream, which long ago moved to
taking care of the new GPLv3

licensed codebase instead.