[SailfishDevel] Harbour compatibility - including multiple executables in a single RPM

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:07:28 UTC 2018

Hi David,

> the rules regarding single executable haven't changed, to my knowledge.
>
> I actually can't see anything in the rules that states you can't have
> multiple executables, but it is a requirement to pass through the
> rpmvalidator. If it's a requirement, I'm thinking it would be helpful to
> make this explicit in the FAQ (which is the closest thing I'm aware of
> to a stated set of rules).

You are probably right, but I haven't checked the text of the rules
recently. They may "hide" it behind that you are expected to have your exe
be called harbour-something and only that way.

> That particular problem was solved for my case by writing a wrapper and
> > called either QML main or the main I wanted to use from Valhalla
> > (https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server-route/blob/
> master/src/harbour-osmscout-server-module-route.cpp#L19).
>
> Just so I'm clear, for your workaround you joined the two code bases at
> compile time?

Yes, exactly this way

Unfortunately that won't work in my case, because I have my programme
> (C++) calling a Perl programme, which then calls another (C-complied)
> executable. It's possible using Perl would be reason enough to reject
> from Harbour, but one step at a time! The issue of multiple executables
> seems more fundamental to me.
>
> > This solution would work, but its a touch harder to maintain. In the
> > end, its up to you whether you want to have the app in the harbour or
> > not. After all, its your decision. However, I would suggest to consider
> > distribution via OpenRepos and not waste too much time for working
> > around Harbour rules.
>
> Ultimately, I agree it's much simpler to release through OpenRepos (I'm
> already doing this in fact), and I can appreciate the frustration for
> you of having to pull your app later. At least you achieved it, even f
> just temporarily. Getting something into Harbour is an important life
> goal for me ;)

I understand, its a sport in the beginning. There is a simpler solution -
you can always release a fart app for getting into the store :)

Cheers,

Rinigus