[SailfishDevel] QtLocation | Qt 5.6

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 08:04:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

it has been rather quiet regarding QtLocation 5.6 during the "first quarter
of 2017" (see earlier emails in this thread). I would like to continue my
work on navigation/mapping solutions for SFOS and the uncertainty regarding
QtLocation is just slowing everything down and lead to major inefficiency
in the development of this important aspect of SFOS.

I would like to know what is the state of QtLocation and its future in
SFOS. From the activity in
https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/qtlocation/activity I conclude that the
developers working on it are @chriadam, @pvuorela, @xfade, Slava Monich,
and @msmirnov. Maybe some of you can take time and reply. In particular:

* Has any work started on upgrading QtLocation to 5.6?

* Has Jolla decided whether they want to work on QtLocation/5.6?

* If its decided that its impossible to include QtLocation due to licensing
issues, can the community help to provide the QtLocation via our packages?

* If you just haven't had time for working on QtLocation 5.6, how can we
help and where should we start?

It looks to me that QtLocation is the component that is pushed for map
applications development. I presume that it would be wise to use it as well
and not waste time to re-invent something similar. Or is there anything
considerably better and we should work on that instead?

Since it is developers channel, its an appropriate place to ask, I believe.

Best wishes,

Rinigus

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Tone Kastlunger <users.giulietta at gmail.com