[SailfishDevel] libicu

Pekka Vuorela pekka.vuorela at jolla.com
Fri Dec 22 09:11:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-21 at 21:33 +0200, rinigus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when using non-Qt libraries, its sometimes required to link to libicu
> with its friends. When distributing applications linking to it, you
> end up with 25MB of library data that is also provided in the system.
> On my device, there are three apps using it (2 mine). With many
> complaining about Sony X root partition size, I wonder how standard
> this library is in SFOS installations. I would expect its always
> there. If it is standard, shouldn't we get it into permitted libs
> list for Jolla Harbour?

Sorry, but not that simple:
http://userguide.icu-project.org/design#TOC-ICU-Binary-Compatibility:-U
sing-ICU-as-an-Operating-System-Level-Library

I've long hoped for getting icu updated too (which isn't too simple
either). Guess there could be hope in having some day support with the
rules set in above link, we already do build with --disable-renaming.

In the meanwhile, it's also possible to strip away a lot of data from
icu builds:
http://userguide.icu-project.org/icudata#TOC-Customizing-ICU-s-Data-Lib
rary