[SailfishDevel] [Minutes] Sailfish OS Open Source Community Collaboration Meeting, 5th of September 2016

Slava Monich slava.monich at jolla.com
Wed Sep 7 12:20:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

Access to contacts is actually quite a good example. It may or may not
require access to the network, depending on how it's implemented at Qt
plugin level. Should every app that needs contacts declare that it needs
network access even if the app itself doesn't use the network?

Or it could require access to certain parts of the filesystem that by
default is disallowed. How is application supposed to figure that out in
order to request appropriate privileges?

To make matters worse, the plugin requirements may change over time,
meaning that a system upgrade may break the app because the app didn't
request access to some features required by the updated plugins.

The only sure way to protect the app against surprises like that is to
request access  to pretty much everything. Which is the way it is now.
So way bother?

Having full source code available (in merproject git repo) and making
sure that the app is built from those sources in Mer OBS and signed (by
Jolla?) would be a good start, in my opinion. Still it doesn't guarantee
that the app has no rogue functionality built in, but the community may
help to examine the source code. The more popular the platform is, the
more apps we have, the more security conscious people are willing to
check the sources - that sounds fairly scalable to me.

Cheers,
-Slava