[SailfishDevel] graphDB (gnome - tracker) on sailfish

Timur Kristóf timur.kristof at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 22:42:18 UTC 2016

Hey Peter,

This topic has been on my mind for some time, I just haven't had the
time to bring it up yet. I'm definitely interested.

In the past I spent a lot of time working with a CMS that used a non-
relational content repository. My experience tells me that for most use
cases, you don't actually need an RDBMS; a NoSQL solution could get the
job done in a simpler-to-use and more efficient way.

However, as yet I'm unaware of a suitable piece of software.
Here are the most notable ones I've looked into:

* MongoDB: could be an obvious candidate, but it was designed and
optimized for very different use cases, so not something I'd run on my
phone.

* Tracker: looks like a bloated monster, and under the hood it too just
uses sqlite. So it definitely isn't more effective than just using
sqlite as is. (Side note: on Harmattan, Nokia chose to store literally
everything in Tracker... which wasn't such a good idea.)

* Lucene: unfortunately the main implementation is in Java, and the
native version (clucene / lucy) is lagging behind hopelessly. (Side
note: IIRC, the Qt project uses clucene, maybe just because they didn't
find a better alternative.)

So, the ultimate solution still eludes us.
I believe a "lucene-like" approach might be right way to go, but at
least I haven't yet found a decent implementation that I would be
comfortable going with. Maybe we would have to "roll our own"
eventually.

Best regards,
Timur