[SailfishDevel] State of BLE in Sailfish?

Javier S. Pedro jolla at javispedro.com
Mon Jun 22 09:48:00 UTC 2015

El 18/06/15 a las 14:58, Bob Summerwill escribió:

> What is the current state of BLE support in Sailfish?   I know there
> was a big long story about BlueZ 4 and 5 and Qt versions and so on
> when I was investigating last summer.

The visible situation has not changed much, except from a few details
outside of Jolla:

  * Qt 5.4 has been released with its own BLE stack, which works even on
extremely old kernels and supports central role (ie connecting to
peripherals) with some limitations which I hope won't be "too limiting".
Qt 5.4 is nowhere on the Jolla roadmap, but I suspect it will eventually
come, and that's what I believe will be the highest level of BLE support
we will ever see on the current Jolla (no idea re Tablet).

* On the Bluez side, the latests versions now have a decent D-Bus BLE
API, but they seem to require the latest kernel, and that's a no-go on
Jolla, but it may be interesting for more recent Android devices (or
future Jolla devices?).

I suppose the most important immediate step would be getting Qt 5.4, and
this is probably one of those "after tablet ships" TODOs. Once devs can
target it we can start talking about which BLE API limitations are the
most annoying to devs.

Javier.