[SailfishDevel] Error starting VM

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Wed Feb 25 15:23:50 UTC 2015

Hi,
Tried this, does not appear to work, but thanks anyway.

It may be that it's simply incompatible with my system for some reason,
but why that should be is a mystery to me.

In case it's relevant, I've just noticed (was it always there? I don't
know) that when I log in with ssh as "nemo" there's a message in the
splash: "NOTICE: There is no systemd user session running"

Thanks,
Cathal

On 25/02/15 07:11, Jens Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i installed the SDK yesterday the first time. I have preinstalled VBox
> 4.3.22 and run into the same issue: Booting the VM end up in a black
> screen, just showing some messages:
>
> tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
> systemd-fsck[62]: system: clean, 23245/262144 files, 244244/1048575 blocks
> piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.0: SMBus base address  uninitialized - upgrade
> BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
>
> My quick and dirty workaround is to ssh into the VM and sudo reboot the
> machine, then it will start without problems. I can see the same
> warnings, but it won't pause. This procedure was reproducible multiple
> times.
>
>          Jens
>

> Am 24.02.2015 um 16:13 schrieb Cathal Garvey:
>> Hi Jarkko,
>> journal.txt sent off-list.
>>
>> I am using 4.3.22, that's why it's annoying me. I'm aware that
>> Debian's repos are very outdated ("stable") for user-facing
>> applications like browsers, VMs, office, etc., so I downloaded
>> directly from VirtualBox.org.
>>
>> Thanks for your time, hoping some solution can be found. The journal
>> output looks informative about the failure to launch a user-session
>> but it's not a system I understand enough to fix, nor do I have time
>> to spare to learn the inner workings of SystemD just to get a VM
>> going. :)

>>> Which Virtualbox version are you using? Please note that some Linux
>>> distributions have very old Virtualbox versions in their package
>>> repositories. For example the Debian Wheezy package repository contains
>>> Virtualbox 4.1.18, which was originally released in 2012. So I would
>>> first suggest trying out the Virtualbox 4.3.22 from virtualbox.org:
>>> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.
>>>
>>> If you have the same issue with Virtualbox 4.3.22 and can SSH into the
>>> emulator, could you share the system journal output (sudo journalctl
>>> --system > journal.txt) of the emulator?
>>>
>>> -Jarkko

Scientific Director, IndieBio Irish Programme
  Got a biology-inspired business idea that $50,000 -
  & 3 months in a well equipped lab could accelerate?
  Apply for the Summer programme in Ireland:
  http://indie.bio/apply-to-ireland
Twitter:  @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185
miniLock: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
peerio.com: cathalgarvey