[SailfishDevel] Error starting VM

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Tue Feb 24 15:13:15 UTC 2015

Hi Jarkko,
journal.txt sent off-list.

I am using 4.3.22, that's why it's annoying me. I'm aware that Debian's
repos are very outdated ("stable") for user-facing applications like
browsers, VMs, office, etc., so I downloaded directly from VirtualBox.org.

Thanks for your time, hoping some solution can be found. The journal
output looks informative about the failure to launch a user-session but
it's not a system I understand enough to fix, nor do I have time to
spare to learn the inner workings of SystemD just to get a VM going. :)

On 24/02/15 14:50, Jarkko Lehtoranta wrote:
> On 23/02/15 14:14, Cathal (Phone) wrote:
>> Thanks for your help Ritesh! Hopefully some digging into less obvious
>> logs might reveal the cause. It's a pity that VB images aren't as
>> "plug and play" as commonly held. :/
> Which Virtualbox version are you using? Please note that some Linux
> distributions have very old Virtualbox versions in their package
> repositories. For example the Debian Wheezy package repository contains
> Virtualbox 4.1.18, which was originally released in 2012. So I would
> first suggest trying out the Virtualbox 4.3.22 from virtualbox.org:
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.
>
> If you have the same issue with Virtualbox 4.3.22 and can SSH into the
> emulator, could you share the system journal output (sudo journalctl
> --system > journal.txt) of the emulator?
>
> -Jarkko
>

>> On 23 February 2015 11:55:39 GMT+00:00, Ritesh Patel <rit78 at msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>     > Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 19:40:46 +0000
>>     > From: cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
>>     > To: devel at lists.sailfishos.org
>>     > Subject: Re: [SailfishDevel] Error starting VM
>>     >
>>     > Just bumping this one last time to see if anyone else has shared
>>     this
>>     > problem and found a fix.
>>     >
>>     > To recap, I'm using the latest SDK and the current "generic linux"
>>     > version of VirtualBox, and the "acceleration" pane in "system" in
>>     > Virtualbox is greyed out, so I cannot see any options there
>>     (someone
>>     > else suggested acceleration might be to blame).
>>     >
>>     > The problem is in booting the emulator VM. It displays several boot
>>     > messages, the last of which is an error, then pauses there. I *can*
>>     > successfully SSH in but the runlevel is indeterminate, and
>>     things seem
>>     > to behave normally for a console linux session.
>>     >
>>     > The message s displayed at VM boot are:
>>     >
>>     > [ 0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
>>     > systemd-fsck[62]: system: clean, 23245/262144 files,
>>     244244/1048575 blocks
>>     > [ 12.297269] piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.0: SMBus base address
>>     > uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
>>     >
>>     > Any help that can be provided greatly appreciated. I'm using the
>>     latest
>>     > VirtualBox on 64-bit Debian and the latest SDK, so it seems
>>     strange that
>>     > it doesn't launch. I'm interested in Sailfish and strongly
>>     considering
>>     > buying a Jolla, but I wanted to play around in the SDK first..
>>     >
>>     > On 16/02/15 11:19, Cathal Garvey wrote:
>>     > > Neither SDK nor Virtual machine are running. If I close
>>     Virtualbox and
>>     > > re-open, the option is still greyed out. Perhaps my system
> [...]

Scientific Director, IndieBio Irish Programme
  Got a biology-inspired business idea that $50,000 -
  & 3 months in a well equipped lab could accelerate?
  Apply for the Summer programme in Ireland:
  http://indie.bio/apply-to-ireland
Twitter:  @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185
miniLock: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
peerio.com: cathalgarvey