[SailfishDevel] Jolla release plan for high level features - update10

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 14:16:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Joona Petrell <joona.petrell at jolla.com> wrote:

> 3rd party apps will use similar tooling for deploying scalable icons as the
> platform apps. We will provide instructions how to make you icons scalable
> as part of future Silica UI toolkit documentation. The source icon format
> will be a variant of SVG.

Perfect, that was just what I wanted to hear, I am already using SVG
to design the icon, and have it rendered by Inkscape. I think I will
need few changes then.

> The current plan is to render the icons to the
> physical dimensions and resolution of the target display as a
> post-installation step to avoid costly runtime scaling.

That is good. Will it be possible to use the same mechanism to scale
also application artwork, in addition to "desktop" icons? In KDEGames,
artwork is provided as an svg file, which is rendered to a cache at
runtime, for every size that is required. But for SailfishOS, the size
would not need to change, since windows cannot change size.

Also, I suppose that using the SailfisOS theme object will be even
more important to get the right sizes for each element, as they will
be no longer guaranteed to be the same across the board.

I look forward to test this out on my Nexus 7.... :)

Best regards,
Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams