[SailfishDevel] [RFC] Well known map data path

Samir Benmendil samir.benmendil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:53:33 UTC 2014

On Mar 18, 2014 at 22:55, Martin Kolman wrote:
> 18.3.2014 22:48, Alejandro Exojo:
> >El Tuesday 18 March 2014, Martin Kolman escribió:
> > >This common location is the .maps directory in the MyDocs folder,
> > >giving the /home/user/.maps path.
> >Are you aware that this is against what is already explained in the Harbour
> >FAQs? I have 60 files or directories directly under $HOME in my computer, and
> >is quite inelegant. At least now applications try to follow XDG
> >conventions/specifications and things are somewhat ordered under ~/.config.
> Please note that the section ("Background") you are quoting is
> explaining how map data storage
> is handled on Maemo 5/N900. Also it looks like I made a typo, it
> should have been:
>
> /home/user/MyDocs/.maps
> not
>  /home/user/.maps
> (this might in part have caused the confusion).
Still... the correct path according to the XDG specification would be
in ~/.local/share/ which is giving by $XDG_DATA_HOME, ~/.config or
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME is for configuration files only.

$XDG_DATA_DIRS should be searched after $XDG_DATA_HOME, so it could be
set to something like
  "/path/to/sdcard1/.local/share:/path/to/sdcard2/.local/share"
by the OS and those would be searched in order.