[SailfishDevel] [RFC] Well known map data path

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 21:55:47 UTC 2014

18.3.2014 22:48, Alejandro Exojo:
> El Tuesday 18 March 2014, Martin Kolman escribió:
>> This common location is the .maps directory in the MyDocs folder, giving
>> the /home/user/.maps path.
> Are you aware that this is against what is already explained in the Harbour
> FAQs? I have 60 files or directories directly under $HOME in my computer, and
> is quite inelegant. At least now applications try to follow XDG
> conventions/specifications and things are somewhat ordered under ~/.config.
>
> Jolla wants to be able to tell how much space an application might be
> consuming (and freeing that space upon application removal), so you should
> take that into account too.

Please note that the section ("Background") you are quoting is
explaining how map data storage
is handled on Maemo 5/N900. Also it looks like I made a typo, it should
have been:

/home/user/MyDocs/.maps
not
  /home/user/.maps
(this might in part have caused the confusion).

  My proposal as outlined in the next "Proposal" section is only
targeted on external storage (currently the Jolla device uSD card), in
internal storage applications should of course comply with the XDG
guidelines to avoid chaos.