[SailfishDevel] sailfish ui on laptop

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at movial.com
Mon Jan 27 09:14:55 UTC 2014

2014/1/25 Christophe Varoqui <christophe.varoqui at opensvc.com>:
> Hello,
>
> First, sorry to post there, but I couldn't find a sailfish-users mailing
> list.
>
> I use a yoga 2 laptop with ubuntu as my primary workhorse, which has some
> interesting caracteristics:
> - highdpi : 3200x1800 pixels
> - touch screen
> - can be folded 360° to a tablet format
>
> I'm quite underwhelmed with the current Linux desktop environments available
> with this setup, and though the sailfish ui could make a lot of sense there.

Couple of points make this mostly unfeasible today:

1) The current Sailfish UI is designed for a mobile phone, with
moderate resolution portrait screen and held in your hand. Your laptop
has (in comparison) a huge landscape screen that is either on the desk
or on your lap (push-from-sides gestures might be awkward in those
configurations).

2) SailfishOS is based on Wayland, so you will effectively lose most
apps you'd use on Linux desktop today. You could possibly run the
existing X11-based apps through X.Org server acting as a Wayland
client, but then of course you will just get the same experience as
with current desktop...

> Is there a way to install and evaluate this ui in my setup ?

The SailfishOS SDK has an emulator that you could try the UI with, it
has an application showing off the usual interactions. No real
applications there though.

> Anyway, I hope you will appreciate someone out there thinks there is
> potential in sailfish ui in the desktop space with modern hardware.

Once/if there shall be a tablet-oriented UI for SailfishOS, you might
want to revisit this idea. But as it stands right now, it wouldn't be
as great idea as one might think at first.

--
Kalle Vahlman, Movial Creative Technologies Inc.
Porkkalankatu 20, FI-00180 Helsinki