[SailfishDevel] Scriptlets in RPM hot allowed to Harbour

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 21:03:12 UTC 2014

21.1.2014 21:34, Martin Grimme:

> You can compare
> those in their function to Maemo Extras and Maemo Extras Devel in the old N900
> days.
> Everybody could upload to Extras Devel, but to get stuff into Extras, it had
> to pass a quarantine and a (IMHO slow and frustrating) QA phase.
> Only Extras was pre-enabled on sales devices, and even for this, Nokia
> had to be
> convinced first, that apps reaching Extras are ready for regular users.
Just a slight correction. As far as I know, you can only upload source code
to Extras-Devel which is built by the Maemo Autobuilder and the
resulting binary package
published. I'm quite sure you can't upload binary packages at all, at
least I have not seen
any in all those years in Extras-Devel.

On the other hand both OpenRepos and Harbour currently only accept
binary packages,
at least until the OpenRepos <-> OBS bridge is online.

So when we are doing comparisons, I would say Harbour is closer to the
Ovi store, as available on Fremantle and Harmattan:
* binary only upload
* cross package dependencies not supported (bundle-all approach)
* IIRC, there were no limits on packaging scripts
* centralized mandatory QA with a multi-day QA period
(at least the Harbour QA seems to repply in a more comprehensible
manner, unlike the sometimes very confusing responses of the late Ovi
store QA drones)
* rules where the apps should store its file (data goes to /opt,
deploying binaries to path not allowed, ...)
* mandatory major.minor.build numbering
* as Profilematic is in Ovi store, it looks like it was possible to
install daemons and bind to events
* location was supported over QtMobility
* some semi-sane requirements for apps not to stop working due to upgrades
* also only one-way user->store feedback and comments
* unlike current Harbour, Ovi had a Web interface
* no Android apps, but flooded by automatically made RSS-reader apps :)