[SailfishDevel] GPS initially shows old location

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Fri Jan 17 16:09:37 UTC 2014

Hi all

Is it possible that the Jolla GPS / GPS Software stack initially shows
the last location acquired?

This is the behaviour I am observing.

At the moment I am sitting in an office building, which has poor GPS
reception, yet my app immediately shows GPS Coordinates. By peaking I
can see that the GPS icon is flashing, and thus no fix has been
acquired.

Having checked the GPS coordinates with Google Earth, the coords are
actually for a location several kilometers away - in the middle of a
set of railway tracks that I travel along to and from work. As I do
lots of mobile development on the train, this is a plausible location
for where the Jolla last got a fix.

By comparison the same app running on my old Nokia N9 gets NaN from
the GPS for longitude and lattitude until it gets a fix. I can then
translate this into a user friendly text on the GUI "No valid position
yet", and stop the user from proceeding further into the app until a
true fix is acquired.

If my understanding of the behaviour of the Jolla GPS is correct, is
there anyway I can stop it giving me the old fix? It is important to
my app that the coords shown are as accurate as possible, otherwise a
recovery party / rescue helicopter may be mis-directed.