[SailfishDevel] QGeoSatelliteInfoSource in Sailfish

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Sun Jan 12 16:40:12 UTC 2014

Hi Marcel

Thanks for posting your code.

In the meantime I have dug out and posted the SatInfoSource demo I
played around with at Christmas - at the time on the Emulator (my
Jolla only arrived on the 30th Dec).

https://github.com/sailfishapps/ThrowawayDemos/tree/master/Kaputt/SatInfoSourceDemo

Running this on the real Jolla you will see in the application output
that is no SatelliteInfoSource installed. So we need to work out if
there is a plugin that provides this, and install it.

The plugins should have a jason file with values like:

"Position": true,
"Satellite": true,

See the link below for more info.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtpositioning-plugins.html

When I last looked (Qt 4.8 Mobility Location 1.2) there was no
SatelliteInfoSource exposed to QML "out-of-the-box". After studying
the source code I think the reason was down to the problem of
exchanging lists between C++ and QML. I would need to wade deep in the
code again to explain more precisely / accurately.

As all I needed was the number of Satellites in view / use I just
wrote my own plugin to expose that to QML.  C++ is not my main
programming language - I follow the cut-and-paste school, so the code
may not be the best reference, but it did work for my purposes. By all
means adapt it if you want.

Chris