[SailfishDevel] Scriptlets in RPM hot allowed to Harbour

Filip Kłębczyk fklebczyk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 10:22:06 UTC 2014

W dniu 11.01.2014 16:06, Thomas Perl pisze:

> The problem in this thread is that somebody is trying to do something that’s a bad idea in general.
> The question should not be “How do I make /usr/share/$NAME world-writable?” (that is usually NEVER a good idea), but rather “My app wants to do this and that, my initial approach was to make /usr/share/$NAME world-writable, but that’s not allowed by Harbour, and now that I come to think of it, it’s probably the wrong solution - how would I solve this problem in a way that is acceptable by Harbour and still achieves my goal?” (and if you ask that question, I’ll be more than happy to help ;).

I don't care about running scriplets at all and I agree with author of
the long (but not boring) post - all argumentation is reasonable.
Anyway, I have a use case that's connected a bit with the topic. Some
time ago I've posted on Together this idea:

https://together.jolla.com/question/8251/kdesu-like-running-apps-as-root/

Why I would want such possibility? It's actually connected with the
following problem with Amazon App Store app:

https://together.jolla.com/question/8231/amazon-app-store-bug/#8237

So while I consider myself a power user I've just solved it, but it
required switching to root (because I wouldn't be able to do it as a
normal user) and doing some operations in the terminal (deleting
settings etc.). Now let's imagine a normal, completely non-tech user
hitting this problem and me giving him instructions:

- So first enable developer mode and open up the terminal ...
- Open what? you must be kidding, I'm not going to put my hands into
that creepy dark thing with those white characters. I've heard people
lost some stuff while playing in it.

Yup, that's how it would look like in most cases and even if such user
would be motivated to follow my instructions, there is a huge risk that
he can shoot himself in his foot along the way, because he is not aware
what he is doing. So I had an idea of writing a Sailfish Silica app that
would fix this problem without user having to go into terminal and doing
risky things himself. Kind of "hit the button to fix the Amazon app
store problem" app. Of course he would have to agree or enter
password/lock code etc. through something like the kdesu on desktop.

So what would be the proper way of creating such app? Can someone from
Jolla - Thomas or anyone there who feels competent in this area suggest
the proper way of handling such use case. That could really help to
mitigate some of the problems that non-tech users approach every day and
make their overall experience with Jolla phone better.

Regards,
Filip