[SailfishDevel] No inbox? -> SMS

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Fri Jan 10 09:48:04 UTC 2014

Hi All

As I have had the flu for the past few days, I have been working from
home, and thus receiving and sending quiet a few SMSes with work
colleagues. On the whole I found the SMS app useable, even if it could
benefit from some tweaking.

I found the "prod to reply" fairly obvious, IMHO no need for a reply
button there; but I completely missed the "swipe to the left to reply
by phone call".  Perhaps the moral here is that some of the UX
interactions are at first not natural, as they are different to other
platforms - even the N9. I am in 2 minds as to wether such
interactions will become more natural with time, or if I will remain
permanently "locked out" of some functionality because I never chance
on the magic touch that reveals it.

Some things I think do need improvement are:
1) text is readable with glasses on, but not without, or in difficult
conditions. Pinch to zoom would be ace and natural.
2) When you reply to an SMS, the new SMS is hidden at the very bottom
of screen, and requires a second prod to show the keyboard. I think it
would be better if the new SMS opened with the keyboard deployed.
3) No cursors (or at least any that I have found) to move around in
the text of the SMS to make corrections.
4) Location of the send button is unfortunate. I also find it a bit
small and subtle - I would prefer a larger more obvious button.

mfg

Chris