[SailfishDevel] Cannot activate Developer mode: SOLVED!!!!

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Wed Jan 1 16:39:09 UTC 2014

Hi all

Firstly, a very very happy new year to all members of this list. I
have a glass of wine next to me as I write this, and I raise it to all
of you.

I have just successfully updated to 10.0.2.5, and been able to install
my first app from the Harbour (Artem's Wikipedia)!!!

The clue was at the bottom of my mail last night.

Zitat von christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch:

> [root at localhost nemo]# pkcon refresh
> Refreshing cache              [=========================]
> Waiting in queue              [=========================]
> Waiting for authentication    [=========================]
> Waiting in queue              [=========================]
> Starting                      [=========================]
> Refreshing software list      [=========================]
> Fatal error: Timeout exceeded when accessing
> 'https://download.jollamobile.com/pj:/hw:/android:/common:/release/latest_armv7hl/repodata/repomd.xml?credentials=store'.

So what was the cause of the problem and the solution?

I have divided this mail into 2 parts: the bit for Jolla, and the bit
for the rest of us who may have a similar problem. Both may need to do
something.

The bit for Jolla
----------------------
It turns out that my home network had very varied response times (i.e.
often high latency). Having spent much of the afternoon measuring and
remeasuring, I can say that I was getting everything between 13ms to
over 3000ms between my Mac Pro Tower and my provider's speed tester.

Note: latency should not be confused with throughput: Despite the poor
latency I get good throughput (e.g. I can download the Lubuntu install
in a few minutes).

So what did I do?

Basically I rejigged and reduced my network until I got a reliable and
repeatable latency of around 16 ms via WLAN. (see details how in the