[SailfishDevel] FOSDEM Community follow-up - open source app community

Filip Kłębczyk fklebczyk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:49:32 UTC 2014

Hi Andrey:

W dniu 04.02.2014 11:45, Andrey Kozhevnikov pisze:
> Blaming openrepos again? Are you serious?

Thomas isn't blaming openrepos. He only proposes an alternative for
hosting _open_ _source_ projects that don't fit into the Harbour.

> Google search allow to search any rpm binary without source code
> attached, download it and install, and some of found packages can be
> untrusted. You can answer: what the **? Who cares about google? Of
> course, we dont care if user did some actions  for finding and
> installing bad package to phone. But when we created good place for
> storing packages with user comments, rating, repositories and great
> native client, and we are not stupid, we know about existence
> (*possible* existence) of malware, we keeping in mind future great
> improvements for openrepos and so, then you going to be crazy. Why?

I think no one is going crazy here - I believe that using Chum won't
hurt Openrepos. Openrepos will still exist and work. Anyway it's good to
hear there are improvements planed to Openrepos!

> Because creator of openrepos is not you, because someone did this great
> place, and its not you?

Well the thing Thomas is proposing isn't his own idea, actually Chum
stuff comes from one of the sailors - lbt (David Greaves).

> Harbour and OBS restrictions are good? I dont
> think so, but i dont want to force you to take my opinion. I'm using
> openrepos and i am happy. But at  the same time i am sad because of your
> madness about openrepos existence.

Nobody is mad - I was on FOSDEM and on the round table and I haven't
seen any madness from anyone, instead interesting discussion regarding
topics such as security for example.

> Please stop this stupid openrepos blaming. If someone upload malware we
> will ban it, post information everywhere. But in my opinion it will
> never happen. We are NOT against FOSS, we are NOT malware/warez site.
> Stop writing lies and speculation about openrepos.

Well nobody said that Openrepos is against FOSS - I'd recommend you to
calm down and read his post once again. Accusing someone of lies won't
help the discussion. Instead I would rather look forward hearing from
you what are the plans for developement/improvements of Openrepos. Let's
focus on positive sides of both solutions.

Regards,
Filip