[SailfishDevel] Is support for commercial apps a TABOO subject?

Iosif Hamlatzis i.hamlatzis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:46:58 UTC 2014

As an indie developer who does this for hobby and not as my main income I
want to be able to sell my work and not give it for free. At the same time
I don't want to be paid directly, I do not want to get involved with taxes.

Different countries have different VAT percentages, also if I want to
handle the so called IRS (the name depends on the country) there is a lot
of trouble at least here in Greece.

Even before I started developing for various mobile platforms I visited
personally all the local IRS departments in my city
to ask how to handle the VAT and I had with me the contracts you sign with
each company (RIM, Google, HP for webOS,
Samsung for badaOS etc) and they couldn't give me an answer. Then I called
the Ministry of Finance and had sent them the
contracts and it took them more than a year before giving me an answer.

Even now almost 4 years later they still send
me amendments with asterisks that they aren't certain if some aspects of
them are valid or not.

So for indie developers like me at least here in Greece direct payment is
nightmare.