[SailfishDevel] How to fully expand PullDownMenu programmatically or elsehow to use expandable menu items?

Artem Marchenko artem.marchenko at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 09:55:53 UTC 2013

Thanks for the demo, Chris, looks interesting.

UI-wise I might want something similar, but inside a pulley menu the
challenges are different. Let me illustrate with the screenshots. There are
two concepts that need to work in concert: Combobox behavior with
small/large number of items and two ways of activating pulley menu item
(open-tap or pull-and-position).

**Background**
1. ComboBox with small/large number of items
When there are just a few lines, combobox unwraps in place and it looks
cool:
[image: Inline image 2]

When there are many lines, it opens in a separate view:
[image: Inline image 3]

2. Menu activation
There are two ways to activate a menu item
2.1 Open menu fully and then tap
2.2 Pull carefully and release when the desired option is selected:
[image: Inline image 4]

**Desired situation**
Well, I want the combobox to be selectable via this 2.2 way - pull until
the lang choice combobox and it unwraps in whichever way it thinks is
appropriate (full screen or in place). The final result should look just as
if user opened menu in full and then tapped on the lang choice combobox

**The problem**
You can put anything inside the PullDownMenu, e.g. combobox itself, but the
only items that can be selected the pull-carefully way are MenuItems. I can
wrap a combobox with the MenuItem, but when selected.. it automatically
closes the menu. I want to prevent it and even more - I want menu to unwrap
full at the click moment, so that combobox could operate and resize fine.

I fail to achieve it so far, maybe somebody could help or state that
selecting non-trivial actions the pull-carefully way is against the
[coming?] Sailfish UI guidelines.

Best regards,
Artem.