[SailfishDevel] How to fully expand PullDownMenu programmatically or elsehow to use expandable menu items?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 07:44:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Artem Marchenko
<artem.marchenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luciano
>
> App in question is Wikipedia (a good practice example I thought, every
> platform needs a bit of Wikipedia) - https://github.com/amarchen/Wikipedia
> Language switch is, well, to choose the language of the article when several
> are available. Or maybe change the language of the Wikipedia edition used.

Ah, of course, in this case it makes sense. Unless I am researching
something specific about my local culture, I tend to hit the English
language Wikipedia, since it tends to have more details, or to be more
up to date.

Good idea about the application, as well.

> Language selector as a popup was my first idea, but.. ComboxBox expanding
> right in the pulley menu seriously looks very cool, also saves you from an
> extra tap (I find pull being easier to do and more playful that a tap). And
> the expansion in-a-menu does work brilliantly *IF* you pull the PullDownMenu
> fully first. That of course kills the whole idea of not requiring a tap.
>
> So I hope to figure a way to activate-and-expand combo box when a menu item
> is fired via pull. Maybe there is none and then I'll make language selection
> to open in a separate view (it sorta happens anyway when you have more than
> something like 4-6 items). Still, I am interested in the general solution.

Ok, I see this being interesting to know in general, but for most
Wikipedia articles, the number of different languages tend to be more
than 10... so I would not worry about this too much.

But hopefully, we will have improvements on the docmentation side of
the silica library as well, in the (imminent?) SDK update.

Best regards,
Luciano