[SailfishDevel] Sailfish User Interface: Tabs

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Sat Oct 12 17:02:39 UTC 2013

Hi Martin, Mikael, Kondou et al.

Thanks for your replies: the debate is getting interesting!

I think there are two approaches to UI consistency.

One is that an app should have a consistent UI across platforms. Thus
a user using the same app on multiple platforms will find his way
around easily. I guess a developer targeting those platforms is likely
to think this way.

The other approach is to say that an app should be consistent with the
hosting platform (and thus possibly inconsistent across multiple
hosts). That way the user of the platform has a consistent experience
across multiple apps. As most end users will only use one platform
(e.g. their own phone), in an ideal world this would probably be the
way to go for most apps.

The IT Architect in me likes the idea of layers as suggested by
Mikael, however like Martin the pragmatist in me questions how this
can be achieved for non trivial apps offering a rich user experience.
I will certainly spend some time investigating how to do this. @Mikael
do you have any examples you would like to share?

My own experience of mobile development over the past year suggests to
me that achieving a simple, easy to use and natural GUI is the part
that takes by far the most time, overshadowing all the technical
back-end stuff. The GUI is the part of my application that has changed
the most (and continues to do so).

Chris