[SailfishDevel] My sailfishapplication-less setup/project (which enables the use of setContext*)

Superpelican superpelican at zoho.com
Sat Jul 20 15:33:12 UTC 2013

Hello,

Building on my custom main.cpp which I've showed earlier, I've created a
sailfishapplication project less project. Which allows you to use the
setContext* methods which are useful for QML/C++
communication/integration. I now also have a custom .pro file, which has
the sailfishapplication.* stuff removed and has the necessary stuff that
was previously in sailfishapplication.pri integrated. My custom main.cpp
and .pro are in the tar.gz archive attachment. I hope this is useful for
other SailfishDevel list members and saves them some work ;). Of course
you will need to edit the "TARGET", "desktop.files" and "OTHER_FILES"
sections to match your app's name and edit the "SOURCES" and "HEADERS"
sections according to the .cpp's and .hpp's/.h's your project contains.

My project tree now looks like:

My_Project
  |--Headers
  |--Sources
  |--QML
  |     |--cover
  |     +--pages
  |--Other files
        |--rpm
       +--My_Project.desktop
(Sorry for the bad tree, I'm no ASCII art pro ;) )

The whole sailfishapplication project is left out completely as you can
see in the tree, no unnecessary stuff left :)

Maybe Jolla can include 2 separate SailfishOS application templates in
the beta SDK, one "SailfishOS QML only application" template and a
"SailfishOS Qt Quick/C++ application" template (with a special main.cpp
that allows the use of setContext* like my main.cpp and custom .pro like
mine) :) that would be really handy. Especially because Jolla suggest on
sailfishos.org that Sailfish apps are written in a mixture of QML and
C++. So IMHO they should have a QML/C++ friendly template ;)
Also some links on sailfishos.org to the Qt-project Wiki's pages about
QML/C++ communication/integration would be welcome (or additional
documentation written by Jolla :) ). As like I said above Jolla suggests
that Sailfish apps are written in a QML/C++ mixture, while (almost) all
of the documentation or links to documentation on Qt-project.org on
sailfishos.org is QML only.

I hope this useful for the other SailfishDevel list members and my
feedback is useful for Jolla :) And thanks for all the help I got on
this list and for all the awesome work the Jolla guys and women are
doing :), keep up the good work! ;),

Superpelican