[SailfishDevel] GStreamer does not support HTTP streaming -- Workaround?

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Jul 11 13:21:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 07/11/2013 12:40 PM, Erlend Boe wrote:
> I tried to play an .ogg audio file using a http url in my application (from qml), but it is not working.
> The error message that I get is:
> GStreamer; Unable to play - "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/En-us-surname.ogg"
> Error: "No URI handler implemented for "http".
>
> I then saw that also MeeGo once had this problem, bug 1584.
> (performing a similar test in the simulator gives the same error as in bug 1584)

Umm, that's bad and should be fixed. I suppose Mer inherited the build
config from MeeGo.
GStreamer is part of Nemo middleware nowadays and bugs can be filed here:
https://bugs.nemomobile.org/
Once it's fixed there it should automagically also appear in Sailfish as
that uses Nemo MW.

> What is the best workaround for this issue? Do I need to download the .ogg file to a temporary file in C++, and then use this local file?

You can't easily do that with e.g. a large file or a live stream like
those listed on http://dir.xiph.org. You'd essentially need to implement
your own HTTP client. So building it with HTTP support enabled is in
order and removes the incentive to reinvent the wheel, badly.

Cheers

Thomas