[SailfishDevel] GStreamer does not support HTTP streaming -- Workaround?

Erlend Boe erlendboe at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 12:40:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I tried to play an .ogg audio file using a http url in my application (from qml), but it is not working.
The error message that I get is:
GStreamer; Unable to play - "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/En-us-surname.ogg"
Error: "No URI handler implemented for "http".

I then saw that also MeeGo once had this problem, bug 1584.
(performing a similar test in the simulator gives the same error as in bug 1584)

What is the best workaround for this issue? Do I need to download the .ogg file to a temporary file in C++, and then use this local file?

Regards,
Erlend

test in simulator:
[root at SailfishEmul HelloWorld]# gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=http://download.banshee-project.org/misc/http-test.ogg
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
Missing element: HTTP protocol source
ERROR: from element /GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0: No URI handler implemented for "http".
Additional debug info:
gsturidecodebin.c(1285): gen_source_element (): /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...