[SailfishDevel] How to handle app settings?

Franck Routier (perso) alci at mecadu.org
Sun Dec 29 09:08:04 UTC 2013

Le 28/12/2013 19:06, Artem Marchenko a écrit :

> If you want something QML that works, I use this pure QML LocalStorage
> approach for the last couple of years fine
> - https://github.com/amarchen/Wikipedia/blob/master/src/qml/components/DbDictionary.qml

I found inbetween that this is the approach promoted (for now) by Ubuntu
Touch as well.

> Nowadays I would have started with wrapping QSettings though (and pull
> requests to Wikipedia for changing LocalStorage use into QSettings
> wrapper are welcome :))

So as I understand it, QSettings might be better, but is not yet really
usable from QML out of the box (needs a wrapper of some sort, some being
developped by Nokia for example).

But, what makes QSettings better thant LocalStorage ? Ans what makes
LocalStorage better than QSettings ?

here are my first bets:

LocalStorage:
(+) available in qml out of the box, more standard (HTML5 ??), more
powerful (sql)
(-) not directly human readable / editable, security concerns (all
tables available to all qml apps ??)

QSettings:
(+) simple text files (?)
(-) not directly usable from qml