[SailfishDevel] [SPAM] Re: Does Sailfish support PyQt5?

Mikael Hermansson mike at 7b4.se
Thu Dec 26 22:34:51 UTC 2013

Its not my opinion it's a fact why should a new platform depend on deprecated libs or
language versions when we know it very soon will disappear even from upstream
projects? And dists?

Its only leads to maintanance hell. And when it disappear developers and endusers
gets angry because apps not work.

AFAIK Jolla don't recommend python2 even if it still exists in MeR or the repos it may
very well dissapear sooner or later.

So if you really want PyQT you better depend on python3 because that IS the future.

Also think about the endusers, I know very well that its fun to play with every libs and
possible combination but still can't hold every possible combination and endusers
are probadly not intrested to install to many thirdparty repositorys just to get one
application work. Right now it already seems to be an issues with all those thirdparty
dropbox links releases latest days...

Regards

Mikael

On Thursday 26 December 2013 20.15.19 Jens Persson wrote:
> Well, that's your opinion. But today it's Python2 that is default in
> Sailfish and not three and that's why I built PyQt with two. Afaik all
> Python modules currently available as default (dev mode enabled) are built
> with Python2.
>
> Greets Jens
>
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Mikael Hermansson <mike at 7b4.se> wrote:
> > AFAIK python is NOT installed from scratch in sf. also if  python will be
> > supported it will be python3 as thomas already has said.
> >
> > Thats the way to go. Python 2 should be seen as deprecated on new
> > platforms IMHO...
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mikael
> >
> > Thu Dec 26 2013 19:00:35 GMT+0100 (CET) skrev Jens Persson:
> > >PyQt works very well on the Jolla phone and you can get it from
> > >Openrepos.
> > >It should support the whole Qt C++ API except for deprecated modules. As
> > >Sailfish is using Python2 by default I've built it with that. Porting
> > >from
> > >Pyside to PyQt is very easy and takes only "a few hours" for a small app
> > >and you can publish them on Openrepos as Harbour does not support PyQt
> > >and
> > >maybe never will. Just remember that PyQt is GPLv3 so you must use that
> > >license or pay for a commercial license from Riverbankcomputing. IMHO
> > >this
> > >is not a big problem as most Python apps are opensource and you better
> > >stick with native code for closed source anyway.
> > >
> > >Greets Jens

> > with

Skickat från Lenovo Thinkpad X230 running Kubuntu desktop