[SailfishDevel] Displaying large models in SailfishOS

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 11:38:34 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

This is the second problem I realized I have, now that I can test my
application on the actual hardware:

With a long list of items in the view, it is possible to go so much
down the list of items, that accessing the pulley menu becomes
difficult.

On Harmattan, this problem is avoided by two features:

* The toolbar is always visible and
* Long lists can be scrolled quickly through the use of the section
scroller item.

I am open to suggestions on how to fix this usability problem in my
application...

Since I modeled the list on the "Contacts" application behavior, one
possibility is to do what the People internal application does:
Search on top, then favorites, recent stations, and alphabet grid.

The only problem is: the alphabet grid view is not available as a
Silica item for general use... Am I right? Is it planned for a furter
update?

Alternatively, is something along the line of the SectionScroller
planned for a future update?

Thank you and best regards,
Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams