[SailfishDevel] Harbour news

Artem Marchenko artem.marchenko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:43:19 UTC 2013

Guys, Harbour states that we can actually ship whichever libraries you want
together with the apps as long as we follow the specific rules (that are
beyond my skills).

Could somebody skilled (maybe Jolla sailors themselves?) create an example
of using some standard Qt module such as QtGraphicalEffects? And maybe some
non-Qt lib too.
You know, many packages already exist in Mer repositories, so probably we
don't even need to compile anything, just wrap the binaries correctly.

Then a list of libraries supported by Harbour will be not an issue
completely. Supported - fine, smaller app size; not supported - okay, we
ship module together with the app.

Best regards.
Artem.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Martin Kolman <martin.kolman at gmail.com>wrote:

> 17.12.2013 21:08, Graham Cobb:
>
>  On 17/12/13 19:01, Damien Caliste wrote:
>>
>>> think you need an API (library or QML import) for your Harbour app that
>>>>
>>> I posted before about the Glib stack with Cairo,   that propose a stable
>>> API, that may help to port applications to Sailfish. Namely, glib-2.0,
>>> gobject-2.0 and cairo-1.0, plus some other low-level libraries, like
>>> libsoup, libcurl or libjpeg-turbo. I know they are low level and Qt
>>> provides abstractions for them, but when porting, it's easier to keep these
>>> low level libraries, which have a stable API anyway. QML is used for UI on
>>> Sailfish in that case with these low level backends (already available in
>>> Mer).
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>>
>> I support this, at least for Glib/Gobject.  Glib is a useful library
>> and, for any app which uses it at all, it will be likely to be
>> completely embedded throughout the code.  While the GUI of such an app
>> will need to be reworked for Sailfish, the 80% of the code which
>> actually does something might be able to be left relatively untouched.
>>
>> Graham
>>
> I'm also all for this! :)
> I'll specifically point out that Cairo is a very nice
> vector drawing library and should be included.
> While there is the QtQuick 2.0 Canvas API, it seems to
> be GUI-only, without support for file output,
> which might be something many applications would like to
> do when doing simple image manipulation.

Artem Marchenko
http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com
http://twitter.com/AgileArtem