[SailfishDevel] A new Jolla phone user - after 2 days of use

Henry Kwong henrykwong at helsinkinet.fi
Fri Dec 13 15:00:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

Moving from N9/Meego two days ago, I find Jolla/Sailfish very easy to use, and have some feedback (wishlist?). I hope this is the right place for this feedback, otherwise please point me to the correct place.

Current version: 1.0.1.10 (notification for version upgrade came almost immediate I got online)

Sailfish/Platform specific:
1. From Lock Screen, swiping-up should bring me to Home screen, but it often brings up the Events screen even if there is no notifications/events. A friend's N9 community edition Sailfish allows swiping from the left/right side on Lock screen - the same doesn’t work on my Jolla.
2. There should be a way to go straight from Lock Screen to Launcher (instead of needing to go through Home)
3. Easier (less taps) accessible configuration (eg WLAN, Bluetooth) from any screen (not just "Settings")
4. Need easier way view the current connection (All the connection related icons on Lock Screen are hard to decode at least initially - in particular for the Mobile Network Data icon, but WLAN icon also hard to decode)
5. More configurable settings (colour selection for text/notification icons/etc, background picture, additional items to be displayed on Lock screen)
6. Icon's Text on Launcher screen feels a bit hard to read (doesn’t look very solid)
7. Add ability to have different colours to different inbuilt apps (eg. Phone, messaging/SMS, etc) - they currently all look very similar on the Home screen and colour differentiation would help usability greatly.
8. Auto-correct while typing (maybe as a configurable option)
9. Please bring Swype to Sailfish!
10. Chinese writing input

Jolla Applications:
1. Sometimes Email's connection frequency setting does not appear to be observed - email isnt checked every 30 minutes as I had configured, and Exchange email isnt "pushed" to me
2. Clock: configurable snooze time? ;-)

Android Support:
1. Whatsapp address book does not work - currently all my Whatsapp Contacts are empty. Understand this is due to Whatsapp on Android cannot reach Jolla's phone book - can this be fixed?
2. Would be great if Android apps can appear as individual/independent apps instead of a single "Virtual Machine" which all Android apps live inside.

Jolla Store:
1. Jolla App store feels a bit confusing - dont really know what apps are there as the only clear "catalog" available is the list of apps built by Jolla - all other Apps are scattered

Apps that I look forward to:
1. Public Transport (eg. Meego's "My Routes", Nokia Public Transport)
2. Turn-by-turn navigation with pre-loadable maps (Nokia Drive)
3. WiFi sharing
4. Camera flash as torch
5. Net Radio

Generic:
1. There will be more users wanting to provide feedback - there will need to be an easier way to submit feedback (even from inside the phone - maybe an App?) which is publicly viewable so others would know it has been submitted (and can vote on it).
2. The phone did "crash" once (it slowed so much I had to force it to turn off to restart) - maybe a good thing to have is inbuilt debugging functionality.

Looking forward to the version upgrades :)

Henry