[SailfishDevel] Sending SMS Messages from Sailfish Alpha 2

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Aug 8 07:10:24 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 08:19 PM, christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Thanks for extensive answer.
>
>> You're barking up the right tree. This is an area of the stack I want
>> to change at some point, but for now, here's how it works:
>
> It's good to hear that I was heading in the right direction, I will
> start looking deeper into this tomorrow morning on the train.

*snip*

BTW: there are two approaches to test the functionality in the emulator
if you're interested.

a) hook up a phone/modem through USB to the VM and configure ofono to
talk AT commands to it. This should at the very least get you SMS, but
probably also phone calls and data. Probably a bit more complex to set
up than the following one though.
b) substitute /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Account/ring/tel/account0 with
something like:
/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Account/gabble/jabber/john_40example_2eorg0
aka a XMPP/Jabber account. As Telepathy abstracts those things, it
should behave (almost?) the same.

To create a XMPP account from the command line you can use:
mc-tool add gabble/jabber john at example string:account=john at example.org
string:password=foobar string:server=jabber.example.org
bool:require-encryption=1 bool:ignore-ssl-errors=1
(note the last one is an UGLY workaround in case you use a local server
with a self-signed cert)
mc-tool enable gabble/jabber/john_40example_2eorg0

HTH, cheers

Thomas