[SailfishDevel] Question about connecting a Sailfish phone to Ubuntu Linux box

Sahlan sahlan at businessassistant.biz
Fri Jul 19 09:27:11 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am currently developing and porting some C++ apps to a variety of
operating systems, including Sailfish. I live in the Republic Of
Ireland, so the first problem was to find a Sailfish phone! I have
purchased a phone which is running Sailfish 3 and have set up Developer
Mode on it. On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I installed the Sailfish Qt Creator IDE
and built a simple test app. I connected the Sailfish phone via USB and
confirmed with lsusb that the device is recognised as being connected.
Under Tools / Options / Devices, I try to add the phone as a Sailfish OS
Physical Device. The IP address, username and password correctly
correspond to those on the phone, but clicking "Test Connection" always
gives me the message "Host unreachable". Increasing the SSH timeout does
not help. I also tried pinging the i.p. address of the phone from a
terminal window, and it is not found, though I am not sure whether ping
should work with i.p. over usb. I also tried changing the phone i.p.
address, in case of address clash, but this does not work either.

Can anyone suggest how I might solve this problem? I know that remote
connections can be temperamental. For example, I have a Blackberry 10
mobile which I can only develop for on a Windows 7 machine, because all
other boxes: Windows 10, Linux, Mac fail to recognise the device, even
using identical tools and setup procedures!

With thanks, in anticipation of some help,
Sahlan