[SailfishDevel] Armenian and Chinese font weight discrepancy

Tamas Miklos uusi at freemail.hu
Thu Jul 18 12:14:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a native Sailfish  app that is now fully localized to various languages.  All works fine except for a few languages that use special character sets.  Armenian and Chinese characters look as if they were bold all the time.  When they are displayed next to Latin characters, the discrepancy is very visible and annoying.  Is it possible to avoid this anomaly?  I don't have similar issues with Cyrillic and Vietnamese characters, but I haven't tried anything else (like Japanese).

BTW, the same issue can be seen if you go to Sailfish OS Settings / Language, and scroll down for the more "exotic" languages.  The last 12 of the languages all look bold, while the others on top look fine.

My test devices all have the same issue: SFOS 3.0.3.10 + Jolla Phone, SFOS 3.0.3.10 + Jolla C, SFOS 3.0.3.10 + Jolla Tablet, SFOS 3.0.1.11 + Xperia X, SFOS 3.0.1.4 + Xperia XA2, SFOS 2.1.4.14 + Gemini PDA are all affected.

Thanks,
Tamas