[SailfishDevel] [python/qml] packaging issues

E.S. Rosenberg es.rosenberg+sailfishos.org at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 09:06:01 UTC 2019

Op ma 15 jul. 2019 om 07:59 schreef Martin Kampas <martin.kampas at jolla.com>:

> Hi Eli,
>

> > 1. The package that gets built includes python bytecode files (*.pyc and
>
> > *.pyo)
>

> That's desired AFAIK

OK, not really clear to me why, either way it can be disabled with:
%define __os_install_post %{___build_post}
in the spec file.
If you are using the yaml file to generate the spec file then the above
needs to be placed in the macros section of the spec file and it will be
transferred to each new spec that is generated.

> > 2. The package is architecture specific instead of "noarch"
>

> You can add the following to your .yaml:
>

> BuildArch: noarch

Thanks, iirc they told on IRC

> > [...] which the SDK wants to
>
> > autogenerate based on the .pro and the .yaml files as far as I
> understand.
>

> Just the .yaml is consulted when generating the .spec.

In the end I deleted the yaml file and left only the spec file that I knew
to do what I wanted and it seems to work.

> > Also does harbour accept mpris now or does the fact that the SDK screams
>
> > about that mean I have no chance of updating?
>

> The two FAQ items https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#2.16.0 and
> https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#6.1.0 refer to the list of allowed
> dependencies - mpris is not listed there. You should be able to package
> mpris with you package to avoid the dependency on system mpris - such an
> approach is allowed of course.

I don't really understand why the dependency is not allowed.
The claim that "the API isn't stable yet" seems a bit outlandish when you
consider that MPRIS was added 2 years ago to gPodder and that the code
works without any modifications today.
The suggested workaround is a lot of work and leaves openings for security
holes since instead of using the automatically updated system version of a
library users will be at the mercy of the dev for updates to dependencies
(and considering the sheer ridiculous amount of orphaned apps in the store
that is just about the last thing you should want in your ecosystem).

Best regards and hoping to see some positive change soon,
Eli