[SailfishDevel] qt upgrade

Leszek Lesner leszek.lesner at web.de
Sat Feb 9 19:22:44 UTC 2019

Hi,

Am Samstag, 9. Februar 2019, 20:11:18 CET schrieb Dylan Van Assche via Devel:
> Hi,
>
> I would really like this! Getting Qt 5.12 on SFOS would be great :) This way
> we can keep up with the LTS releases of Qt, this would speed up the
> development of SFOS apps.

I am against it.
It would be the opposite actually. Instead of speeding up the development it
would be like stick you throw inbetween your legs.
Jolla is barely keeping the Qt Versions up to date for now. Its not going to
help if we have 2 versions that need to be supported.
It will create more chaos when some apps will be based on Qt 5.9 and others on
Qt 5.12
Also incompatibilities will appear all over the place. Hacks would be needed.
In general it is not a good idea to split the dev community in a Qt 5.9 and Qt
5.12 section.
Supporting multiple Qt Versions on one platform is a no go. It will break your
neck.

Instead I would suggest putting more and more work in quality control and
having a team that tries to do the best they can for a smooth transition to Qt
5.9

Greetings
Leszek Lesner